St.Urbain corner Milton was Earnst Cormier’s studio.He was a world famous
architect.There was only one other architect who had an engineering degree as well as being an architect in all of Quebec.He was born in Montreal, the son of a medical doctor, and he studied civil engineering at the École Polytechnique in Montreal. After graduation in 1906, he worked in the research department of the Dominion Bridge Company in Montreal. In 1909, he studied at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris in the atelier of Jean-Louis Pascal. In 1914, he was the recipient of the Henry Jarvis Scholarship, awarded by the Royal Institute of British Architects. Through its British Prix de Rome, Cormier spent two years in the Eternal City, where he studied the ancient works. Following his return to Paris in January 1917, he was employed by the engineering firm of Considère, Pelnard et Caquot, specialists in concrete, and he graduated as an architect of the French Government (DPLG).
He was a professor at the École Polytechnique in Montreal (1921–1954).
He designed the Supreme Court of Canada.The doors of the United Nations.Universite de Montreal.Piere Trudeau bought the house that Cormier had designed for himself.
Right next door to the Cormier atelier was the Ecole des Beaux Arts de Montreal.
École des beaux-arts de Montréal (The School of Fine Arts in Montreal, “EBAM”) was an educational institution founded in Quebec in 1922. The Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society was instrumental in its creation.
Faculty of the school included Edwin Holgate; alumni include Armand Vaillancourt, Paul-Émile Borduas, Pierre Granche, Kate McGarrigle, Guido Molinari and Jacques Drouin.
The 1922 building that hosted the school was built according to plans by the Montreal architect Jean-Omer Marchand, located at 3450 Saint Urbain Street (at Sherbrooke Street) in Montreal. It now houses the Office québécois de la langue française.
In 1969, the school was incorporated into the Family of the Arts of the University of Quebec at Montreal.
Right around the corner on Sherbrooke St.was the William Nottman house.World Famous photographer.
Notman House is located at 51 rue Sherbrooke Ouest in Montreal and was classified as a historical monument on December 8th of 1979. The house was designed by John Wells in 1844 for the lawyer William Collis Meredith. In 1876 the house was acquired by William Notman. After his death, the house was sold in 1894 to George Drummond who had come to Montreal to manage the Redpath sugar factory. Drummond subsequently turned over the house and the three story brick building behind to the Society of St Margaret, who, until 1991, used the properties as a hospital for the terminally ill. Over the last 20 years the building has seen a number of tenants; at one time, it was home to Montreal’s famous Just for Laughs festival. As of the beginning of 2011, the house is being rented by Real Ventures and is open to the public.